What's more

Stanley Waterfront

A redevelopment of the waterfront area was completed early in 2008 and an attractive boardwalk has been constructed widening the space for public enjoyment between Stanley Main Street and the bay. The boardwalk is lined with young trees and benches, at nights there is lighting decoration on trees, and is the location for Stanley Waterfront Mart with a small number of souvenir shops, bars and café’s. Adjacent to the boardwalk is Village Square, a covered amphitheater where sometimes free concerts are performed at weekends.

Tin Hau Temple

Tin Hau was born in Putien, Fukien, probably in 960. She died at 27, after a life of holiness and miracles, and was canonized by local acclaim. Later, the Emperor recognized her worship, eventually under the title of “Tin Hau”, the “Empress of Heaven”. The earliest of her temples outside Fukien is the Tai Miu on Joss House Bay in Hong Kong, founded in 1012. Originally a sea-goddess, land-people later worshipped her as well, because of her ability to rescue people in danger.

This Stanley Tin Hau Temple standing on a highly propitious Fung Shui site, was founded by 1767. It is unusually designed, with a large number of deities arranged on a bench around the walls, with Tin Hau in the centre. A tiger-skin on the wall frightens off evil spirits; this tiger appeared in Stanley in the 1940s. Two Japanese bombs hit the temple during the Japanese attack on Stanley (1942): they did not explode, and so the crowds of people sheltering there were miraculously unharmed. The temple is especially busy on the Birthday of the Goddess, the 23rd of the 3rd Lunar Month, when the local villagers celebrate with performances of Chinese Opera.

Blake Pier

Blaker Pier, originally known as Pedder Wharf situated at the then waterfront facing today’s Des Voeux Road Central, was named in 1900 after Sir Henry Blake, the 12th Governor of Hong Kong (1898 to 1903). In 1904, upon the completion of the praya reclamation in Central District, Blake Pier was relocated to the new waterfront at the junction of Connaught Road and Pedder Street, where it continued to provide for the berthing of yachts, barges and sampans, etc.

Blake Pier was originally covered by a thatched roof, which was later replaced by an elegantly classic cast iron roof. Blake Pier once served as the landing place for new Governors and British royal dignitaries visiting Hong Kong, until this role was taken over by the first Queen’s Pier built in the mid-1920s at the waterfront of Connaught Road beside Blake Pier and Star Ferry Pier.

In 1965, when Blake Pier was demolished and re-built in situ, its cast iron root truss was transferred to the Morse Park in Kowloon to provide for the cover of a pavilion. In 1993, the re-built Blake Pier was demolished to make way for reclamation works in Central District. The cast iron roof of Blake Pier was then further transferred to Stanley in 2007, where it was reinstated as the roof cover of a new pier - the Blake Pier st Stanley - built outside Murray House under the Government’s Stanley Waterfront Improvement Project. The historic roof truss and the classical architecture of the century-old Murray House together paint a picture of elegance for the Stanley Waterfront.

Stanley Beach

Stanley Beach faces the Tai Tam Bay at the northeastern edge of Stanley's downtown core. Its position makes it the natural starting point for a necklace of beaches bounding Tai Tam Bay. Though water views are plentiful from the 3km seawall there is only one accessible beaches perfect for swimming.

On hot summer days, the beach is the best place to cool off. If you don't have your swimwear with you? Don't worry, swimwear and other beach items are available in many shops in Stanley Market. You can enjoy sun, sea and sand all at the whim of the moment with your friends and family.

Murray House

Iconic Murray House is an interesting historical site featuring restaurants and the Hong Kong Maritime Museum within its walls. The Murray House originally stood in the CBD built in 1844 to provide officers’ quarters as part of the Murray Barracks becoming one of Britain’s major military buildings in Hong Kong. The building was dismantled and relocated to its present day position on the Stanley waterfront with restoration completed in 1998.



A few Tong Cheong Pawn's Pillar are stood aside the Murray House, which were also relocated from Yau Ma Tei (a district close to Mong Kok) as pawn shop was one of the prosperous businesses in Hong Kong society in the past.



Murray House was one of the oldest surviving public buildings in Hong Kong. Similar to many of its contemporaries from the early colonial era, it was designed in Classical architecture style. The heavy stone walls (with flat arched opening) are located on the ground floor to a give sense of stability, while the lighter Doric and Ionic columns are placed on the floors above to allow better ventilation. All floors have verandas on all sides in response to the local subtropical/monsoons climate.

Close to the three storeys colonial structure is Blake Pier which was also previously located in Central before being moved in 1965, the Blake Pier is in keeping with the façade of Murray House. Today, Murray House forms part of this small town with the Hong Kong Maritime Museum located on the ground floor and restaurants on the first and second floor offering superb views. Murray House remains one of Hong Kong’s must-visit heritage sites located within an area of extreme historic importance.